That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Life up North

I'm a country girl...definitly a country girl. In March when we went to visit Marci and Steve , all I wanted to do was drive on a road that wasn't congested with traffic! In the city it's not dark at night. Car lights, traffic lights, street lights. It's almost brighter than during the day. My Mom used to warn me about being out late at night when I lived in Whitby.


"I don't think you should be stopping for gas after work," she'd say to me. "It's dark down there at night and not safe."


I would use the excuse that it's hardly dark at night in the city. In fact I almost felt safer getting gas at 9 o'clock at night than I did at 8 in the morning. Morning in the city is a NIGHTMARE. People on their way to work. Impatient, annoyed, honking horns, cutting in and out of traffic, making left turns on obviously RED lights. No, night was a better time to do errands.


I guess I do still live in a city. My city has a population of about 54,000 people, but it serves a populations of about 150,000 in the surrounding area. But, somehow it doesn't feel like the city down south felt. It's quieter here. People actually drive the speed limit in town. A red light means stop, not speed up. People are more patient in the North. They hold doors for you when you go in to a store. Ha, I remeber being a little shocked the first time that happened to me after I moved back up here.


I never called my southern Ontario home home. Home was always my parents house. But now I do have a home... in the near north :).  God led me here in an amazing way (that will be a story for a future post). He has given me peace and security that makes this my home. Will I stay here forever? Probably not, but while I am here I'm going to enjoy it and serve God in the best way I can.

1 comment:

  1. I'm all for no traffic! And actually being able to see the stars...

    ReplyDelete