That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Sunday, August 23, 2009

More BC

Wow... what a summer this has been. I think I've been at my house for maybe a week in the past 2 months. It's been great though. Seeing friends and family, going camping, travelling.

When I went out to BC Heather asked me if there was anything I wanted to do. The last time I was there when I was in college we were able to see alot of the province and do quite a bit of sight seeing. But the one thing we didn't get to do was go to Victoria, so that was my one request of something that I really wanted to do.

The ferry ride over is about an hour and a half and then it is a half hour bus ride to downtown. We decided to book a motel and stay overnight so we wouldn't have to feel rushed. Downtown Victoria has lots of sights. Among them is Antique row. If you love antiques, which I do (I inherited that from my mom) it's the place to go. There must have been over 25 different stores. Some were specialized with things like stamps or war memorabilia or dishes. I did find some deals at a used book store. Note-to-self... books are not fun to carry around for an entire day.

We were able to do a free tour of the legislature.




They only use these steps and doors on very special occasions... like when royalty comes to visit. Not even the premier or the members of parliament are allowed to use them. They have a side entrance which was the one we used for the tour as well.



This is the inside where all the politics takes place. I think it's nicer than the green in Ottawa.



This rotunda is in the middle of the building. It is decorated with scenes from British Columbia's history. There is a logging scene and a farming scene and some other ones that I can't remember. It's quite beautiful to look up at. All the yellow you see on the walls is actually pure gold! They spare no expense in BC!



I thought these windows were very pretty. They have quotes on them about being honest, respectful, and truthful. Funny how we don't think of politicians having those qualites today! Some of them would do well to read the windows were they work.




This window was made specifically for Queen Victoria. In case you didn't know the city of Victoria was named after her:).



Victoria is right on the ocean. In fact some of the buildings along this harbour are actually floating!



Like this one. This is the Empress Hotel. Very nice! Much nicer than the Super 8 we stayed in. They even serve high tea. We thought about going, but it just didn't fit into our... budget... I mean schedule. The Empress and the Legislature were designed by the same architect when he was only in his 20's. He had very elaborate taste. Hence all the gold.

We also went the the miniature village in the Empress, a wax museum, and an imax. So much fun! Definitly a place I would go back to again. A word of advice to anyone else planning a trip out there... stay away from the Super 8. A motel or hotel right downtown is a much better option!

No comments:

Post a Comment