That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Answered Prayer

It's so good to praise the Lord for answered prayer!  I've had two amazing answers this week that I want to share.  


I noticed right before the Youth Conference last week, that I've been in a bit of a spiritual slump.  It was a different sort of a slump. I've been keeping up really well with my Bible reading, and doing My Biography of God study each night.  It's not like my personal devotions were suffering.  I've been praying a lot more too. I've found that prayer has drawn me so much closer to God.  It's hard to explain in words, but it feels wonderful.  I love talking to God. My "slump" was that I haven't talked to anyone about the Lord in a really long time!  You know how things are.  We get busy.  We get preoccupied.  We get doing things, and we forget what we're really here for: to share the gospel of Christ.  Usually in my day to day activities opportunities come up frequently to "insert" Christ into my conversations with people.  Well, lately that hadn't been happening.  I have been talking to Christ, but not about Him.  


So I prayed.


I asked the Lord to give me opportunities this week to speak about Him.  He answered!  On Monday I got to speak to one of my students about Him.  She goes to Catholic school, and the conversation started by her telling me about this retreat she went on for her religion class.  Then she told me about going to confession, so she could miss class.  What a perfect opening for me to talk about God :).  I told her that I didn't believe in confession.  I Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.  I don't need a priest, because I can go directly to God for forgiveness of my sins. I John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he [God] is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  


On Tuesday I got another opportunity to speak to a student about going to church.  She said her church is boring, and she never goes. I told her that I love going to church, and learning about God. I invited her to come to our Youth Group.  I'm not sure if anything will come of it, but at least she knows that not everyone thinks church is boring.


God answered another prayer of mine this week too, but it's not something I can write about... yet.  Isn't it frustrating when people say God answered a prayer, but they can't tell you what it is? LOL!  Something inside us wants to KNOW what it was, but we're left in the dark. Maybe it's because it's too personal.  Maybe it's because it's just not the appropriate time or place to share.  Oh well... you'll have to suffer, because this is one of those times.  Sorry.  However, I have to say that I'm so glad I have a God who hears and answers my prayers.  What's really cool is when He answers them exactly in the way I asked!  


If God has never answered a prayer like that for you before, don't give up praying. I'm sure God has said "No" to me many more times than He's said "Yes".  It's not because He's mean or anything like that.  It's just that His plan for me is so much better than I could ever dream of.  Sometimes the things I want could mess that up, so He gently says "No, you don't need that right now." The "no" answers help me to trust Him more.  The "yes" answers encourage me to keep praying and seeking His will.  Don't get frustrated with God when He doesn't answer.  Just keep praying!  That's what He wants you to do.  I can say from personal experience that when you keep on praying, eventually He WILL answer.  And when He does, all the glory goes to Him!
Matthew 7:7-8

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

1 comment:

  1. I always love hearing about answered prayers, it's always encouraging. Thanks for sharing, Jess. :)

    ReplyDelete