That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Friday, March 4, 2011

Comparisons

2 Corinthians 10:12
For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.  

I've been thinking about this verse in relation to what I wrote yesterday.  It's so easy to compare ourselves with others.  I'm not as bad as so-and-so.  I would never do that.  At least I'm not like that guy.  Comparisons make it easy for us to justify our sins.  Especially the sins we don't want to give up.  Like maybe swearing?  Haha, I'm not comparing... really I'm not :).  Anyhow, I was thinking, I wonder how many comparisons I make in my life in order to justify myself? Answer: lots. However, when we compare there's a whole lot of "me" and "I" going on in our thinking, and God is missing in the picture.  

Why is it that we always assume someone who points out a wrong in someone else is setting themselves up as some holier-than-thou archetype? That's pretty judgemental if you ask me. It's never wrong to point out something wrong, but it can certainly offend our pride.  Pride is such an ugly thing.  It makes us angry, upset, and defensive.  It causes us to try and justify our position, instead of humbly realizing that maybe we ARE wrong.  I've been told I'm wrong before.  I didn't like it.  I've had to apologize for being wrong before.  I REALLY didn't like that.  It's hard to admit to being wrong.  

Comparisons can be good when they are made to the right standard.  The Bible is our ultimate standard, and I think that's really what Paul is trying to get at in this verse.  Stop looking at others, and get your eyes on Christ.  If we make our comparisons to Him, then we can be assured that we won't be wrong. He is a worthy goal.  When I start comparing my life to Christ, I realize how short I really fall.  This can be discouraging, but it doesn't have to be.  I know Christians who've given up trying to become more like Christ because of past failures.  Unfortunately, the devil wins a huge victory when this happens.  We really have no reason to give up.  There are SO many verses in the Bible that encourage us and help us.  Maybe we just don't really believe them.  In my own strength, I'll never measure up to God's standard, but that's the amazing thing about being a Christian.  I don't have to do it in my strength! 

I CAN do all things through Christ, which strengtheneth me. 
(Phil. 4:13)


No comments:

Post a Comment