That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Monday, March 7, 2011

Why Don't Some People Get It?

I'm working on a follow up post to my one the other day about "Christian Clothes."  I've gotten a lot of really great response from that post, and I'd like to thank everyone for their kind words and encouragement :).


Last night, I was reading through my Bible study that I've been doing each night since August.  It's called "My Biography of God" and you can read about it here.  This week's passage is Hebrews 4, and verse 2 really stuck out to me.


For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.


Have you ever wondered why some people just don't seem to get it?  When I was writing that post about clothes I thought so many times, "Why do so many Christians have such a hard time with this?  Why don't the get it?  What's missing?  What's wrong? They say they are Christians.  They say they read the Bible.  They go to church.  Why is it these things make sense to me and not to them when we're all supposed to be Christians?"  God gave me this verse last night as my answer.  The Word they've heard doesn't profit them because it is not mixed with faith.  Faith is believing.  I'm convinced more and more that people who call themselves Christians really don't believe God.  It's the only reason I can figure out why they don't seem to "get it."  This verse is saying the Bible is no good to us unless we believe it.


It's sad to say, but I have seen Christians reject so many times the things God has told them in His Word.  Why do we want to fight Him so much?  Do we not realize that He only wants what's best for us?  I've done my fair share of fighting Him too.  Pride is so ugly.  The flesh is powerful.  Our sin nature doesn't get erased at salvation, and it's a constant battle between it and the Spirit.  I pray that we don't be come people like this verse talks about.  Let's have faith so that when we hear the Word it can be useful to us, and make us more like Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment