That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Monday, April 11, 2011

Goings On, and Christians vs. Culture

So many things to write about!!! My brain whirls round and round with so many thoughts, discussions and ideas that it's nearly exhausting.  I just want to write everything down... you know, get it all organized and categorized.  However, life itself has been just as busy as my brain lately.  


I do have somethings that I will post about my weekend in Toronto, my university student's end of year recital, and of course, some deep theological discussions.  I might even surprise you with a few pictures :).  But, all those things will have to wait.  Sadly (or maybe happily), my life does not revolve around my blog... LOL!  This morning I'm off to hear several of my students play in our annual Kiwanis Festival of Music piano competition.  The week after next is the vocal competition, so my evenings are getting quite filled with extra practices.


I would like to share a link to an article I read last night.  "Culture" has become quite the buzz-word in the church today.  It's a constant struggle for the Christian to be "in" the world, but not "of" the world.  In fact, I see many who have just given up on that idea, and succumb to the "of" the world philosophy.  Sadly, this way of living is not only unbiblical, but ineffective in winning people to Christ.  We may win people to a "form" of religion by assimilating ourselves to their lifestyle, but true, sincere, repentance and transformation cannot take place in someone's life when they are trying to adapt to a secular, humanistic, culture.  On the other side, there are those who isolate themselves from the world, and thus, become ineffective witnesses because they neither "of" nor "in".  Is it possible to be a Christian "in" the world and yet remain pure, holy, and set apart unto God?  How do we do that? How do we reach people for Christ who are steeped in sin, without tarnishing our lives by sin?  How do we meet people where they are, when we are commanded to be separate from them?  
This article deals with this subject so well, and from a biblical perspective.  I hope you will take the time to read it carefully, and that it will be a blessing to you as it was to me.


http://www.feasite.org/church-culture  

No comments:

Post a Comment