That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer Adventures ~ Part 2

This past week was jam packed!  First of all, we had Vacation Bible School at our church.  We decided to do Wednesday thru Sunday instead of the usually Monday-Friday.  That way we could incorporate the last day of VBS into our regular church service.  It was a good week.  We had five church children every day (they are all brothers and sisters), and they brought 3 friends.  One on Friday, and two others on Saturday.  The children had a great time, and God blessed!  It's hard not to equate success or failure with numbers, but in the Lord's work numbers mean nothing.  Whether we had 5 or 500 children at VBS makes no difference.  What makes a difference is was God honoured, and were people drawn closer to Him.  I know that the children learned some valuable lessons this week, and those lessons will stay with them for the rest of their lives!  On Saturday we learned the song "Little is Much When God is In It."  Truly, we saw that in our VBS.  It was little, but God was in it, and He gave us many blessings!  


On top of VBS, I was also playing the synthesizer for a play this week.  We had practices Monday and Tuesday, and then played each night Wed-Sat.  On Saturday we actually did 2 shows, because we did an afternoon and an evening show.  The music was not easy!  My fingers got quite the work out, but it was lots of fun.  It's always neat to be involved in things like this because I get to hang out with other musicians doing something we all love... play music :).  


Last weekend was supposed to be my debut as a page turner for a classical music concert.  It's something I've always wanted to do.  I don't see myself learning any piano concertos any time soon, so I figure the only way I'll get on stage at a classical music concert is to be a page turner :).  My friend is the stage manager for the Festival of the Sound, which is a big classical music festival every summer in Parry Sound.  They were having a piano duo perform in the opening concert, so she was going to turn pages for one of them, and I was going to do the other.  My Mom came with me, because I got two FREE tickets for the concert.  Everyone was late for rehearsal because there had been a big accident on the 400 hwy.  Then when they finally arrived my friend texted me to say they didn't need page turners this time!  It was the first time in four years of them playing at the festival that they didn't need page turners!  I was a little disappointed, but my Mom and I got to see an awesome concert for FREE :) :).  The music was fantastic, and I really enjoyed it.  


Other than that, I've just been teaching and doing a bit of painting at my studio.  Actually, my Mom has been doing most of the painting.  My Dad was in Michigan this week helping put a new roof on a Christian school, so my Mom was staying with me all week.  Unfortunately, my Dad fell this past Friday and hurt himself pretty badly.  My Mom has gone down to bring him back, but I haven't heard anything from them yet about when they are coming back.  He's going to have quite a long recovery to go through, so any prayers would be appreciated!


This week should be fairly uneventful.  At least I hope it is.  I need to find some time to cut my grass!  Next week I'm going to Camp YES, so I my next Summer Adventure post will be after I come back :).  One final note:  The weather has been absolutely wonderful the past couple of weeks!  Sunny and hot!  And I mean REALLY hot!  We were in the 30 degree Celsius range all last week, plus humidity!  That's a bit unusual for northern Ontario.  In fact, the last of our snow has finally melted.... JUST KIDDING!!! :).

No comments:

Post a Comment