That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Success

I'm amazed every day about how God continues to work in my life.  It's humbling.   A few weeks ago I gave a testimony at church about how I'm thankful God has put me where I am.  Sometimes when I say things out loud, they don't always come out the way I intend them too, and I felt my testimony may have been a bit ambiguous.  It's much easier for me to write my thoughts down.  They tend to be more cohesive that way.

Anyways, the gist of what I said was this (hopefully I can at least write it so it makes sense).  The world offers a lot of attractions.  It offers success, wealth, power, acceptance, and popularity.  When I was 17 and finishing high school, I really had no idea what options were available to me for the future, or what those options meant.  I knew I could go to university, college, or get a job, but I don't think you fully comprehend what all that means until you're older.  At least I didn't.  At that time I chose the option that interested me the most.  I wanted to go to Bible college, and I went, and I enjoyed it greatly!  I had no thoughts of getting a university degree, a masters, or a Phd.  I had no thoughts of then going on to have a successful career, making lots of money, and living in a prestigious home, wearing designer clothes.

But here's the thing.  I could have done all that, and I could have been really good at it!  I'm not trying to boast or be prideful, but the truth is, I know that I have the capability within me to be very successful by the world's definition of success.  I could have made quite a name for myself.  I'm smart enough to get the scholarships, the Phd., and the prestigious (well paying) job/career.

Many people would think I wasted my time by going to Bible college.  In fact, I've had people even tell me that.  Why on earth would you want to spend four years studying the Bible???? Who DOES that???  What a useless waste of time!  I ignore those comments.  By the world's standards, I would say I'm moderately successful; however, I don't live in a big city, I don't have the distinguished career, when people hear my name they don't know who I am, and I certainly don't make a lot of money!

I was thinking all these things when I gave my testimony at church (and before that too), and I realized, I'm ok with that.  I'm ok with living in a small city.  I'm ok with having a normal job.  I'm ok with not living in a fancy house, and driving a fancy car.  I'm ok with the fact that I'll never be interviewed on the radio, featured in the newspaper, or attain any sort of celebrity whatsoever.  None of this really matters, even though I know I could have achieved it, and I still could achieve it if I wanted to.  What really matters is doing and being the person God wants me to be.  My Christianity trumps everything else.

I ended my testimony by expressing that I'm thankful God has put me where I am, given me the job I have (and house and car), and allowed me opportunities to serve Him.  I know I could serve Him as the head of a corporation making a six figure salary too, but that's not what He has chosen for me.  He's chosen to put me here in a small town, in a small church, living a relatively obscure life, because He knows that's where I'll be most effective in serving Him.  Although I know I have the capability to be much more, I am at complete peace with the life God has given me.  And no, Bible college was NOT a waste of time!


No comments:

Post a Comment