That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Friday, October 18, 2013

The REAL Purpose

God has a purpose for your life!

It sounds cliche, but there is some truth to it.  However, when I speak to people who call themselves Christians, I often find that the "purpose" that they believe God has for them is far from what the Bible teaches.  A lot of churches today preach this in a self-centred way.  God has a purpose for YOU! God desires fellowship with YOU!  God loves YOU, and there's nothing you can do that will change that!  God is seeking YOU!  God is pursuing YOU!  To the person sitting in the pew (or chair) it becomes all about ME.  You have worth.  You have value to God.  You are special. Is that what the Bible teaches?

I think the most dangerous thing about this sort of message is that it does have SOME truth to it.  That's why it's so deceiving.  The truth is that God does have a purpose for you.  God does love you.  But God is not about YOU!  God is about GOD!!

Our perspective of God is so dismal today.  Many view God as the magical fix to all their problems and woes.  He's not.  He is God!  The Creator of the Universe!  He is holy, perfect, righteous, and just.  Before God, all our goodness becomes and filthy rags.  When Isaiah saw the Holy, Lord God of heaven he fell on his face and cried out... "Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips..." (Is. 6:5).  Isaiah's vision of God immediately revealed his own sin.

What is God's purpose for us?  

1.  That sinners be saved.  Repentance and faith is another message sadly lacking in the church today.  That's because it deals with things we don't want to confront.  It deals with sin, and sin offends.  Churches would rather preach a loving, gentle, kind, God that has a wonderful plan for your life; than to offend someone by pointing out their sin.  The truth is, you will never know God's purpose for you until you come to Him totally empty of yourself and put your complete faith and trust in His forgiveness for sin.  God IS loving, gentle, and kind.  He is also holy and just and will punish sin.  But, God is merciful and waiting to forgive.  I fear many souls have been lost because no one has been brave enough to present BOTH sides of God.  His vast mercy AND His righteous judgement.

2.  That Christians tell the lost of salvation.  Once you have placed your faith and trust in Christ for salvation, God's purpose for you is simple.  Preach the gospel.  Tell others.  Be a witness.  Many Christians are busy today being involved in church, teaching Sunday school, leading worship, having Bible studies, singing specials, cleaning the church, etc.  They are busy, but the reality is, they haven't witnessed to one person in years!  I know this is true, because was that person.  I was busy in church.  I served in full time ministry.  I played the piano, sang in the choir, worked on the bus, was at church every time the doors were open!  But, I didn't witness.  I didn't pass out a single tract.  I was just busy.  I still struggle with this!  It's easy to be busy, because being busy makes it look like you are being a good Christian.

God does have a purpose for you.  He wants you to be saved, and He wants you to tell others how to be saved.  I think a lot of Christians are not doing this, because if they were, I'd be getting more tracts in my mailbox.  I'd be seeing them out on the streets preaching.  I'd meet them witnessing at the park.  Jesus' last words to His disciples sums it all up.  "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.  Acts 1:8.

No comments:

Post a Comment