That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Youth Group

I planned on posting some pictures today of our youth group activity at Near North Baptist Church last night. But it seems my camera had other ideas.

I'm really not a huge fan of electronics. Now-a-days kids get cell phones and i-pods for their 10th birthday. I was till in the doll and teddy bear phase at 10 years old. I remember getting my first "electronic" gift. It was a walkman. I think I was around 11 or 12. I thought it was soooo cool! I also got a tape of a Christian rap group that I liked at the time. Haha... yes I wanted the walkman so I could listen to the tape without my parents hearing what kind of music I was listening to. I remember sitting in the van listening to that tape over and over again when we would drive to North Bay. I sure thought I was something! Being all sneaky about listening to "Christian" rock/rap music. For some reason my parents never wanted or asked to listen to that tape themsevles.

Anyways, I got tired of it after a while...the same songs over and over... and since I was too young to have a job, and therefore had no money, I couldn't buy a new tape. My parents weren't about to give in to me asking for one either. They had much better things to buy! I sorta gave up on listening to that kind of music after that. I don't know why it never occured to me to listen to the radio on my walkman? That's probably a good thing.

I got my first cell phone when I was 21. My dad thought it was a very frivilous and unnecessary purchase. I never needed one before, so why did I need it now? Last summer when that first cell phone finally broke in half, it took me three months to finally get around to getting a new one. Did I miss the technology? Not really. Actually, it was rather refreshing being out and knowing that absolutely no one could interrupt whatever I was doing by calling me. I don't really like being interrupted when I am shopping.

Just a couple of weeks ago I was playing the piano at a funeral. For some reason I didn't check my phone. It's usually always on vibrate, but of course not that day. So I'm sitting there playing this nice soft music and everyone is all quiet except for the occasional sob and then it happens. Loud, blaring, ringing, music!!! What is that? AHHH... IT'S MY PHONE! WHO ON EARTH IS CALLING ME? Playing piano sorta ties up the hands, so it took me a minute to get to the end of the song before I could turn it off.

Personally, I think the world was a much better place before all this eletronic stuff came a long. But I have to admit that sometimes it is pretty fun. Like last night when were all making the weirdest face possible and taking pictures of it.

So HOPEFULLY, I'll be able to post those pictures soon. I don't know what's wrong with my camera. Sigh.

Have a great day! Galatians 6:14.

No comments:

Post a Comment