That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Friday, September 11, 2009

Where am I?

Right now I'm sitting in front of my computer. Actually I've been sitting here alot lately, but doing different stuff from the usual facebook snooping...I mean... looking....

Going back to work has actually been a bit crazy this fall (I can't believe I just said fall... ahhh, we've been having awesome weather though). I usually have scheduling issues for the first two or three weeks lessons.
"Johnny has soccer practice on Wednesday. Can we switch his lesson?"

or

"Susie is in a play and they rehearse on Tuesday. Can we switch her lesson?"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! (Imagine a picture of me pulling my hair out). I only have 51 students I'm trying to schedule for lessons, so you know a conflict here and there... I have so many open slots for you.. ha!

I'm really not complaining. I love my job and I have great students. They put up with my quirks and silly analogies that I use to try and help them get all the "feelings" of singing. Actually, I can't think of any other job that I really would rather do... except be curator of a private tropical island... aloha!

No really I do enjoy my job. I am of the opinion that you only live once, so if you don't like something and you have the power to change it then CHANGE IT. I realize that there are some situations we have no control over, but I never understood people who hated their jobs. Really, the possibilities for work are endless! And that is definitely a situation most people have control over. There is no sense working at a job that makes you miserable! But I have to put food on the table and pay the bills. Well, that may be, but don't limit yourself to just one thing. I like looking through university and college catalogues. There are some very interesting things you can learn and then be able to work at. And now there are so many options for people who want to go back to school and retrain.

Too many people rely on other people to make them happy. We think if we had a different boss our job would be so much better. Or if I had a different church, or a different family, or a different.... you fill in the blank. One thing I've learned is happiness does not come from people or things. Happiness is a personal choice. Will I be content or will I grumble and complain? Wow! which option brings greater peace and happiness.

Then there is the sad realization that most people will never be happy because they will never know the One who can bring true happiness. I don't think people understand contentment and happiness because they don't know the true source of it... Jesus Christ.

The Bible says that Jesus had no worldly possessions besides the clothes on His back, and yet He never once complained about His poverty, or lack of material things. Why? Because He is God, and what are a few things on earth when you have all heaven in front of you. When you have a relationship with Christ, material possessions, and happiness don't seem important anymore. But, the amazing thing is is that when you are sold out to serving Christ and living for Him, God blesses you with those "things" that you desire!

You know, I just realized that this post has nothing to do with my title. I was going to write about where I have been, and what I have been doing this week. But wait... maybe it is a good title. Where am I in my spiritual walk? Am I close to Him, or have I become focused on earthly things.

Galatians 6:14... if you have a Bible look it up. It's my life verse!

No comments:

Post a Comment