That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Tracts Again


It's snowing outside my house right now :). I guess that is sort of exciting. I do not mind shovelling, but it is scraping off my car that I don't like. It's nice to see the snow though. It is a reminder that God is faithful.
"While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer
and winter, and day and night shall not cease." (Genesis 8:22)
This is my answer for all those global warming proponents too. The cold is here to stay! God said so.

The highlight of this week was the downtown Christmas walk. The weather was beautiful Friday night. After work I grabbed some Tim Hortons and met my Mom, Dad, Pastor, and Mrs. Bauserman at the church. I had no idea that it would be so crazy downtown. I drove around for 15 minutes trying to find a place to park.

The plan was to pass out gospel tracts to the people at the walk. It was a great plan, but none of us realized how many people would be there. There were thousands... literally! We were out of tracts after walking down and back the street just one time! People were so receptive. Whenever I pass out tracts the first couple are always a little awkward. You never know what kind of a response you are going to get when you walk up to a complete stranger and hand them something! I always think...
"What if they look at me funny?" or "What if they yell at me?" or "What if they
say no?" or "What if they take it and throw it on the ground and trample on it?"

All of those things have actually happened to me in the past. At the Christmas walk I did have a few people say no, and I did have a few people give me funny looks. But a funny look and a refusal are not going to keep me from doing what I know God wants me to do.
"Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature..." (Mark 16:15)

Passing out a gospel tract is just one way a Christian can preach the gospel. And it's actually not that hard. I think a lot of people are afraid to pass out tracts because of some of the reasons I mentioned earlier, but I know that if they actually went and did it they would find out it's really not that bad. You know how your mother always told you never to say you didn't like a food until you had at least tried it once (I got that with turnip, but I have tried it and I DON'T like it). It's the same. A Christian should not say they cannot pass out tracts until they have at least tried it. Besides, Philippians 4:13 applies in all situations right?
"I can do all things through Christ, which strengtheneth me."

I might go to a small church, but that does not mean we cannot have an impact for Christ in our community. There are 54,000 people in North Bay, and at least that many or more in the surrounding area that rely on services in North Bay. Truly the harvest here is great! I find it sad that Christians are content to sit in their pew on Sunday morning, putting little thought into the lost and dying thousands that surround them. I pray that I do not become one of those Christians, but too many times I don't take the opportunites that God gives me either. I can honestly say I'm glad I took the opportunity He gave me on Friday to pass out those tracts even though it was awkward, uncomfortable, and a little cold. You don't understand the blessing and feeling of fulfillment that comes from doing something like that until you have actually done it.

Now I'm praying that through those tracts God will send people who need salvation to our church, so that we might see them saved!

No comments:

Post a Comment