That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Friday, April 16, 2010

One-sided Conversations and Other Thoughts

You'll have to forgive me if this blog post is a bit random. I have a lot of stuff spinning through my head right now, and it all wants to come out at once.

For those of you who read this and know me, you probably know that I talk to my Mom nearly every day on the phone. Yeah, it sounds like a bit much, but when you live on your own, you have to talk to someone... and I do like to talk :). But you know how things happen throughout the day, and you just want to share them with someone? Not major things, just things. So then I end up having these one-sided conversations with myself in my brain, and that is just weird!

Like yesterday. I was driving to Callander to practice with a school choir for the Kiwanis Festival, and they were cutting the grass by the Tim Hortons on the highway. I cannot tell you how much I love the smell of fresh cut grass. If someone made a perfume that smelled like fresh cut grass I would buy it and wear it every day, even though I'm deathly allergic to perfume and would have a constant runny nose, watering eyes, and itchy face! That was the first time I've smelled grass this year and it was so good! I actually spoke outloud in my car and said "That smells so good!" See what I mean about having one-sided conversations with my brain!

Today it was a one-sided conversation with the lady who decided to back out in front of me without looking as I was driving up the street. NOT good! I honked my horn at her. I know Mom, you told me not to do that, but she really deserved it!

It seems a lot of these one-sided conversations happen in my car. Maybe I spend too much time in my car?? The other day I was telling someone not to turn across 2 lanes of traffic because I knew he couldn't see the oncoming cars (I was behind him waiting to turn). Well, he turned and by some miracle he made it without getting smashed into!

Here's how my mind was going this morning after I left work... (in my car again!)
"I should go to Wal-Mart and get a binder"
"Maybe I'll drive home tonight."
"It is so nice outside today."
"I have no food in my house."
"Yes, that is the best parking spot ever... too bad I'm only running in to get 2 things"
"Maybe I could cook pasta."
"It's REALLY nice out side, I need to get out my lawn chairs."
"I wish Marci could come Saturday"
"Do I really want pasta for lunch?"
"I'm so glad university is over!"
"I have Kiwanis next week!!!"
"Have to work again at 3... hope I don't forget that."
"Binders, binders, binders... hmmmm."
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" (that was the lady who backed out in front of me :).
Maybe I'm bordering on insanity. Apparantly talking to yourself is a sign of that. But, maybe I'm just alert (a la Grandma T :), and have an active and highly functioning brain :).
On a completely different note. My students did a great job at the recital last night. Of course I had my camera with me and didn't take a picture! It's official... I will never be a photographer. I would much rather talk than take a picture :). So that means my university job is done until the fall! I just have to submit my grades!
A lady from my church named Mary is in the hospital. Pray for her. She is a older, but she is a new Christian and is still struggling with some things in her life, along with her health issues.
My Mom told me today that a girl we know is supposed to come to church this Sunday! She is saved but not really living for the Lord, but her boyfriend is unsaved. Her family is very burdened for him, and we've been trying for a while to get them to come out. Pray for them too! God is working in our church! I am amazed at how such a small church like ours continues to have an impact on people's lives. It comes down to the fact that God will use us no matter what the circumstances are as long as our lives are completely surrendered to Him! One thing I am truly thankful for is that I have a church where I can invite people to come out, and I know that they will hear the gospel. There was a time (in a different place) when I wouldn't invite people to my church because they would never have heard a gospel message, and I was ashamed by the direction the church was going. Praise the Lord I don't have to worry about that at Near North Baptist Church!
Now I'm just sitting outside enjoying this gorgeous weather! The breeze is blowing, the birds are singing (I heard peepers last night), it smells like spring (no one has cut their grass yet though, so I don't have that smell), and this weekend I get to see my nephews :). Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment