That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Monday, June 14, 2010

Obedience

Sometimes life becomes routine.  You know, get up, go to work, come home, eat, sleep, etc.  Usually when I feel like I'm getting a little "stuck" in this routine of life, I start thinking.  Yeah, I know... not a good thing sometimes :).  I think about things like 'why am I here? annd 'what is my purpose?'  Of course I know the answers, but sometimes it is good to take a step back and evaluate.

 I've got some pretty big changes going on.  For instance, my job.  Going out on my own is not going to be easy.  It's a leap of faith, but I am trusting God to supply all my need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Phil 4:19).  Really, when you've completely surrendered your life to God's will there is no other option but to trust Him.  Do I worry?  Somewhat, but again it's all about trust.  That's why I chose Psalm 84:11 as the new verse on my blog.  God promises that if I walk uprightly before Him, He will not keep good things from me.  Does that mean I'll be rich and famous.  NO!  I'm not falling into the false doctrine of prosperity gospel.  The promise in this verse is conditional on my action of being upright before the Lord. 

Here's the question for today.  What does it mean to be upright before the Lord?  It doesn't take a great Bible scholar to know the answer to this question.  All it takes is a heart that is seeking the Lord through His Word.  In one simple statement the answer is obedience.  To be upright before the Lord I must obey Him.  So many Christians have missed this, and by missing the aspect of obedience they have missed out on many blessings.  People don't like being told what to do, but the Bible is FULL of commands.  In fact some Christians dislike being told what to do so much that they will accuse those who simply try to obey of being legalistic!  Obedience to Christ's commands is not legalism, it is loving Him (John 14:15)!  It amazes me that Christians get so bent out of shape when the pastor preaches specifics about obedience.  I've heard it many times. 

"He thinks he can stand in that pulpit and tell me what to do?  Who does he think he is?  The pastor just wants to control my life.  Well, I'll do my own thing no matter what he says."

Can you believe it?  I've actually heard Christians say that!!!!  Really what they are saying is that they don't love God, because if they are not going to listen to their pastor whom God has called, they aren't going to listen to God either.  One of my greatest desires is to live an honest life before the Lord in obedience to His will and commands.  It's the only way that I can be the Christian I am supposed to be.

Romans 12:1-2.  If you want to know how to live verses 1 and 2 read verses 9-21.  They are specific commands.  God doesn't leave us in the dark trying to figure out how to be a living sacrifice unto Him.  He gives us specifics to make it easy for us to be Christians because He loves us.

 

2 comments: