That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Friday, September 17, 2010

Wouldn't it be Nice?

I just read the top story on the local newspaper's website.  The headline was about our university and college holding a welcome powwow for aboriginal students.  That's great, but wouldn't it be nice if Sunday's headline story was about a local Bible-preaching church welcoming new university and college students to it's service?  Something tells me that is not likely to happen.


Or better yet, the university and college could invite a church to come on campus and hold a preaching service to welcome the Christian students.  Wouldn't that be nice?  After all, they held a powwow which is a religious ceremony for aboriginal people.  The public could be invited to attend such a service and maybe it would garner front page status on the newspaper too.  Wouldn't that be nice?


Oh yes, we live in a society that proclaims rights for all and equality for all, that is unless you are a Christian.  If you're a Christian you are scorned, mocked, and shunned.  No one wants to listen to the Christians.  No one will accommodate the Christians.  We aren't allowed to pray in public schools anymore, but prayer rooms are being installed in more and more universities across Canada to accommodate followers of Islam.  Who knows, maybe some public schools even have prayer rooms now, or at least have to allow the Muslim students time away from class for daily prayers.


Don't get me wrong.  I am not against the Muslims having the freedom to practice their religion in our country.  I'm not even against trying to accommodate them to a certain degree.  But wouldn't it be nice if Christians got the same treatment?  Wouldn't it be nice if people went out of their way to accommodate my religious preference?  I wonder what would happen if I told the director of the community choir I sing in that I cannot sing music that is part of a Catholic mass because it is against my religious convictions?  What kind of laugh of scorn would I get?  How would I be mocked?  I'm sure he would not have very kind things to say if I took such a stand.  I've just opted not to sing in the choir for the upcoming concert rather than cause a big scene.  I don't like being ridiculed for my faith, but I am not afraid to take a stand either.  I cannot compromise my beliefs, so therefore, I cannot sing.  I wonder what would happen if I told my fellow music teachers that I cannot be involved in the Halloween recital because as a Christian I have absolutely nothing to do with such a wicked, evil day? I wonder what they would say?  The other Christian teachers participate and have their students participate.  A Christian who participates in Halloween in any way is blaspheming God, and that's something I just cannot do.  To be involved in the devil's day is wicked for the Christian!!!  Therefore, I quietly chose not to participate.  No one has asked me directly yet if I will be involved, but when they do, I will tell them exactly why I cannot.  Wouldn't it be nice if they understood?  Somehow I don't think that will happen.


Wouldn't it be nice if Creation was taught in public schools?  Wouldn't it be nice if we could say Merry Christmas, and not be labeled politically incorrect?  Wouldn't it be nice if we could bow our heads and pray in a restaurant without the people around us snickering?  Wouldn't it be nice if employers would give us Sundays off? Many employers won't even hire someone who won't work on Sundays! Wouldn't it be nice if we could play good Christian music at work?  Wouldn't it be nice if we could hold religious meetings in public venues?  Wouldn't it be nice if....?  


Oh yes, we live in a world of equality... unless you take a stand for Christ.


"Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven..."  Matthew 5:11-12



No comments:

Post a Comment