That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Friday, October 8, 2010

Being Thankful for Roller Coasters

I LOVE roller coasters!!!  Really, the exclamation points are not an exaggeration.  I actually enjoy the out right FEAR. .. anticipation of climbing up the hill, the clickity-clack of the cars on the track as they climb severals stories (why is it those sounds always make you think the metal bars about to snap in half?),  the MASSIVE thrill of being hurled headlong straight towards the ground at excessive speed, and then racing along the track, up and down hills, around corners, finally coming to the abrupt halt that jerks what little stamina you have left right out of you.  Yup, I find that fun :).  


I DON'T LIKE when my life resembles a roller coaster!  Most of the time my life is more like the Swan ride than a roller coaster, but this week was a bit more challenging than usual.  Mostly it had to do with the fact that Bell Canada has decided there is absolutely NO way that I can get the email account back that I had set up for my business, which was deactivated through a series of events that were not my fault.   Apparently the email is "lost" and despite spending hours on hold, I have yet to get a satisfactory answer as to what "lost" really means.  Not to mention the fact that I've been promised a call back twice now with a "solution" to my problem and that has yet to materialize.  So, on Tuesday (since Monday is a holiday), I will again call Bell, and again sit on the phone for probably at least 2 hours on hold, and again insist that they give me my email back.... AGAIN!   


The first week of the month is always a roller coaster at work because that is when lesson payments are due.  I am VERY grateful that my Mom helps me out with that.  Otherwise this blog post would probably be entirely made up of capitals and exclamation points emphasizing my excessive frenzy!  We only incorrectly charged one student; however, I have this extreme aversion to asking people for money.  It's awkward, and I have this fear that if I tell people they owe me money they will think I'm greedy and selfish.  I know no one is going to think that (I hope!), but it still doesn't help much with the awkward feeling.


The roller coaster also included the student who doesn't return phone calls, the soccer conflict, a missing clarinet, and I'm loosing a student I really enjoy teaching because she is moving.   Then there's the student who insists they "can't" do anything I ask them to do, the students who've lost their voices because they are sick, and the fact that I've been singing Evanesence non-stop for the last 3 days because I CANNOT get that song out of my head!   Why is it always the most horrible, annoying songs that get stuck in your head? Then I sit in my store all day and the phone never rings.  Except when my cell phone rings, and I decide to answer it, and miss two phone calls on my business phone during the cell conversation.   There's also spending an hour and a half working on an advertisement, trying to design flyers, trying not to worry about how many emails I'm not receiving because my email address no longer works, buying a photocopier, and the one day my Mom decides to step out for 15 minutes to get me coffee while I'm teaching (which I REALLY needed), two people come into the store to ask about lessons!


The roller coaster isn't always negative.  I'm not the kind of person that likes to dwell on the negative, and after all this weekend is Thanksgiving!  Amidst the roller coaster I am giving thanks, and I do have much to be thankful for.


I'm thankful my Mom helped me all week, even though she was really tired by today.    I'm thankful for my health, for my ability to work, for my home, for my car (definitely thankful for a car :), for friends, for family, for music, for my students, for the teachers at my academy, for my pastor, for my church, for the BEAUTIFUL sunshine we've been having this week, for safety.  I'm thankful it's the weekend, and that I get to spend time with friends tomorrow, and that I'm getting my hair done tomorrow :).  I'm thankful for good neighbours.  I'm thankful for the city I live in.  I'm thankful that I have heat in my house, and hydro, and a phone, and a computer.  I have a lot to be thankful for.  I am SO very blessed to live in a free country where I can make choices about my life.  


In this post I listed many material things I am thankful for.  Far beyond the material things in my life, I am thankful for spiritual things... but that I will save for my next post.


Oh yeah... I am thankful for roller coasters too... especially the literal ones, but I'm trying to be thankful for the figurative ones because I can learn from them.


"In everything give thanks..." I Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment