That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Monday, October 4, 2010

No Worries

Saturday afternoon when we were driving Marci and Seth back down south, we were stopped at a R.I.D.E. check.  The officer politely asked my Dad if he had had any alcohol to drink, to which my Dad responded, "No sir."  


I was stopped in a R.I.D.E. check the Saturday before this past one, and when the officer asked me the same question, I was able to respond, "No sir."


Sunday morning in church my Dad was leading the opening part of the service, and he talked about being stopped at the R.I.D.E. check.  He said how thankful he was that he NEVER had to worry about what answer he would give that officer.  When drinking alcohol is just something you don't do, then a R.I.D.E. check holds no fear.  My Dad could confidently say that he had not had any alcohol because he never drinks it.  I am thankful that I was able to have that same confidence when I was stopped as well.


Sadly, many Christians would not have that confidence if they were stopped in a R.I.D.E. check.  They would be afraid, worried, and guilty if the officer questioned them the way he did us.  They may have ended up like the man we saw on Saturday whose vehicle was pulled over, and he was sitting in the police cruiser.  


Next Monday is Thanksgiving.  One thing I am thankful for is my confidence that I can be stopped at a R.I.D.E. check any time, any day, any place, and I will never be charged with having too much alcohol in my blood.  If you never drink it, you never have to worry about it!


Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.  Proverbs 20:1

No comments:

Post a Comment