That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Saturday, October 23, 2010

To Judge or Not to Judge...? That IS the Question.

I came to this question through a series of events.  Basically, I'm getting tired of people implying and sometimes outright accusing me and/or my church and/or people in my church of being too judgemental.  I'm tired of people saying that we need to let up a little bit and be more accepting and loving.  


I say I'm tired of this because it happens with some regularity.  Weariness wasn't the first feeling that I experienced.  Initially I was very shocked, upset, saddened, and hurt.  The hurt led to concern and more questions.  Are these people right?  Why would they say this?  Why would they accuse me of something like this?  I never meant to be judgmental?  Is this something I'm doing intentionally?  If it is, I certainly didn't mean it that way? What is causing people to form this conclusion about me (my church etc.)?  What do they mean we need to be more loving? Of course my church love people.  Isn't that the whole point of being a Christian?


After the questioning and soul searching, I decided to get down to some serious Bible study.  I've read every verse in the Bible with the words judge, judging, judges, and judgeth in them (the word judgemental is not in the Bible, so I couldn't look up any verses on that).  I don't want to know what my pastor's idea is about judging.  I don't really care what Billy Graham, David Jeremiah, or some other popular mega-church preacher or evangelist says about judging.  I don't even care about my opinion on the subject (and believe me I have some :).  I wanted to know what GOD says about judging.  I found out.  I was surprised by the answer.  It wasn't what I expected.  I'm excited that God has taught me some things in this area.  I hope you will continue reading :).


I Kings 3:9 Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad...

1 comment:

  1. We all know we should "Love Thy Neighbor," but who really is our neighbor, and how, indeed must we show love for him/her? Certainly, not judging is one way, but there are many more practical ways as well.

    The most compelling reason to not judge and to show love is found at John 13:34,35, which (as verse 35 explains) is actually the identifying mark of a true Christian.

    So, one might ask oneself - How do I show love to my "neighbors" 1) in my family? 2) at my workplace? 3) in my neighborhood? 4) in my city? 5) in my country? 6) in the entire world? (Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8)

    If we are true footstep followers of our leader, Jesus Christ, would we display nationalism (favoritism for one's own country), engage in politics (putting our faith and trust in a human leader over and above Jesus as King), or take part in war? The answer is obvious, of course, but how many churches actually teach us to refrain from these things?

    ReplyDelete