That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lesson Learned... I Hope!

Last night after youth group, I came home, put on the kettle, and plopped down on the couch to relax.  It was the end of a very long day, and a very busy week!  I don't really watch that much TV anymore.  Basically because most of what's on it is horrible!  Now to relax I enjoy spending time online, reading blogs, informative articles, and such.  The internet is pretty cool.  Literally, the world is at your fingertips, and there's information on everything!  I like reading, researching, and discovering new things, so I love the fact that I can do a google search and come up with info instantaneously.  I've also set up a lot of boundaries about what kind of things I do and don't do online, because there's a lot of trash out there, but that's not what this post is about.


I never realized that there was such a world of blogs online.  I've had my blog for a while, but I mostly just followed friends blogs.  Then I found more and more blogs.  Some were good.  Others were uninteresting and sometimes even annoying :).  I searched for a long time through various Christian blogs, but generally was disappointed.  Mainstream Christian blogs are pretty much like mainstream churches.  Shallow, fluffy, worldly, and lacking in doctrinal purity, with more emphasis on the emotional rather than on living a life consecrated to Christ.  I've read a several of these type of blogs that made me  really annoyed... filled with righteous indignation :).  Then I decided that was pretty dumb.  Why waste my time reading something I don't like or don't agree with? Finding the KJV blog directories was like a breath of fresh air.  Finally, something I could read and mostly agree with, instead of getting really frustrated with.  


On occasion I still visit several blogs and websites that are not necessarily "independent Baptist" or "KJV-only", but are still Christian.  Believe it or not independent Baptists don't have a corner on the market of truth.  Despite the error and compromise that abound in new-Evangelical circles, they sometimes do say and teach some good things.  It's rare, but it does happen :).


So, last night I was reading this one blog, and I was getting more and more frustrated with each sentence I read.  I usually agree with this particular writer, but he's posted several articles lately about legalism that label any one with a standard a "legalist."  He made several statements about what he thought legalism was that were just so frustrating.  Not to mention, unbiblical, which probably explains why he didn't list any Scripture to support them.  Honestly, how could he say that a certain action or attitude made someone a legalist?  Can he see that person's heart?  Does he know why they have such standards?  NO... so he should stop judging what he has no way of knowing.  I read through the article and decided I was going to leave a comment.  Not a nasty comment, just something that would make him think.  While I was reading about 5 or 6 Scriptures came to mind that blew his whole theory of legalism right out of the water.  Perfect... I'll type out the Bible verses, and then it'll be God's Word that convicts him, and not just my words.


Then it hit me!  Jessica... WHAT are you doing?  Why are you so upset at this guy?  You don't even KNOW who he is?  What makes you think your comment will make him change his ways?  You're wasting so much time and energy first of all reading his garbage, then getting frustrated at it, and now you're going to waste more time trying to show him his error.  Besides, you don't know his heart anymore than he knows yours.  Yes, what he said was totally wrong and unbiblical, but if you really want to make a difference, pray more, witness more, be humble, and live YOUR life for Christ.  Impact the people YOU know for Christ.  Don't worry about some guy thousands of miles away.  God will take care of Him. You take care of your own heart.


Whew... talk about conviction.  I really believe the Holy Spirit directed those thoughts.  The truth is that this person probably doesn't care one iota about my opinion or beliefs.  His mind is settled, and it's not likely that my comments are going to change him.  I probably won't visit his blog anymore.  I really can't be bothered.  My goal isn't to change every Christian into a fundamental, independent Baptist.  If they are sure of their salvation that is the main thing. However, I do wish that more Christians would see the truth about living a life consecrated to the LORD.  I do wish I could somehow encourage more Christians to stand up and separate from the worldliness and compromise in their churches.  The truth is, I don't separate because I'm an Independent Baptist.  I separate because I'm a Christian, and because I believe 100% that I'm honouring the Lord by doing so.  It's for Him, not for anyone else.  There are thousands of people in my city who don't know Jesus.  There's a lot of work to do in getting the gospel to these people, and many of the other "churches" in my city aren't doing it!  If I'm honest (which I will be), my church isn't doing as much as we could either.  I myself am not doing enough to get the gospel out.  So, rather than get upset and annoyed at complete strangers, I've got work to do.  I've got people to pray for and witness to. 


There are so many different aspects to the Christian life, but our Great Commission hasn't changed.  And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature (Mark 16:15). If I am to live so as to bring God glory, I must keep my focus on the gospel.  This is the lesson I learned.  I'm sure I'll need to be reminded of it again, and no doubt I'll feel that conviction often!  


That blog really got me thinking though... I may post my own article on legalism... stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment