That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Why do we Do things that God Hates?

I was thinking about some things the other day, and I thought, "Why do Christians do things that God hates?"

While I was thinking about this and about some Christians I know who have done things God hates, the thought hit me.

Why do I do things that God hates?

It really saddens me when I see people who call themselves Christians blatantly and openly doing things that God hates.  After all, we are the people who claim the name of Christ, but so often we grieve Him by our sin.  That's why it is important how we live.

Whatever the reason is that other Christians sin, there's ultimately not much I can do about that.  I can pray for them, but the only person that I can truly and effectively change is myself.  I hate the fact that Christians sin.  I realize that may be a strong opinion, but I really do hate it.  I hate the fact that I sin.  I hate it, because it hurts me, it hurts other people, and ultimately it hurts the cause of Christ.

I think we ignore sin too much.  I think we make excuses for it too often.  I know I do.  Why else would I do something that displeases God?  I think we forget Who God really is.  He has done so much for us.  Why would we want to hurt Him?  I think we forget what Christ had to pay for our salvation.  He gave EVERYTHING for us.  He sacrificed EVERYTHING.

If we are going to truly live in a way that we don't do things that God hates, we are going to have to sacrifice some of our wants.  We will have to give things up that we like.  The truth is that we sometimes like our sin, but God always hates sin.  We live in a materialistic world that says to sacrifice is to hurt yourself.  Yet, God's way says sacrifice is where blessings really come from.  Sadly, too often we refuse to sacrifice a temporal desire, and we do those things that God hates to satisfy an earthly lust. Meanwhile, we have just sacrificed a heavenly reward.  Which one is better?  The temporal lust or the eternal reward?

He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.  I John 2:6




1 comment: