That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Pretty Flowers

I wouldn't say I'm a huge gardener. In fact I'm pretty sure there is nothing green about my thumb. One of the interesting things about moving into a house is that you never know what is going to come up in the flower gardens. I do have an array of perennials that come up each spring. Lots and lots of tulips. Last fall I transplanted some in my flower garden in front of my tree. That was very unsuccessful. It seems that there is a strange tulip eating animal hanging around. I tried replanting the bulbs a couple of times only to be foiled by whatever was so hungry. Who knew tulips made such a good meal... grr!

Thankfully these ones are near the house so they survived. Whatever was eating my bulbs has an apparent fear of coming any closer to my house than the big tree in the front yard.

The thing I enjoy the least about gardening is weeding. It's such a daunting task. All those weeds just take over!

But the end result is worth it! My garden stayed looking like this for about a week and a half until I got around to buying flowers. Since I have a huge tree in my front yard, I'm a little limited in what I can grow. I get almost no sunlight and it seems that there's a much wider selection of full sun plants at Home Depot than full shade plants. So I decided on the ever trusty and very beautiful impatience.




I can't remember what that green leafy stuff is called, but it grows like crazy. It's great for filling in around space where you just want ugly ground to be covered. And the best thing about it is that there is no possible way to kill it! It can rain forever and it grows. It can be sunny and dry and hot and it still grows. Now that's my kind of plant:-).

I couldn't resist getting a couple of geraniums. I put them in my planters so I could stratigically place them where my yard gets the most sun. It's still not full sun, but I gave them miracle grow too so hopefully that makes up for it :-).

Flowers are so pretty... and maybe after a few more summers of practice I'll start to see a little green growing on the tip of my thumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment