That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Meeting New People

I am terrible at meeting new people. I never know what to say or how to act. I've always envied people who can just go up to random strangers and talk to them like they've known them their whole lives! What do they say? I'm really not shy, I just have no idea what to say!

When I was in college I remember Mrs. Baker telling us before choir tour that when we were in the different churches we weren't to stand around talking amongst ourselves, but we were to go out and meet the people of the church. I was so scared about doing that! But then I tried it, and the more I talked to people the easier it got.

I do love meeting new people, even though I'm bad at it:). Hopefully, they don't think I'm a loser or something when I just stand there and nod my head because I can't think of anything else to say or ask them. That's one of the things I like about my job is that I do get to meet new people all the time. And because it's part of my work, it's easier to converse. We can talk about music, singing, how their child is progressing in lessons, etc.

Today I met two new people. My pastor asked my Mom and I to visit a couple of ladies he had contacted about church. The first lady, Joanne, was friendly, but she wasn't too interested in talking to us. The other lady, Bernadette, was also friendly and very easy to talk to. Pray for her. She is going through some struggles, and she really needs to make some decisions for the Lord. Making church visits are probably the hardest thing to do. There is always the fear that people will be angry or offended that we are talking to them about their spiritual state. But God is always with us, and He works through the visit. So, even though it may be awkward and uncomfortably meeting people and talking to them, God can help. Philippians 4:13.

No comments:

Post a Comment