That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life...
Philippians 2:15-16a

Sunday, January 10, 2010

How to Win in 2010


This was the title of Pastor Bauserman's sermon at church today. He was trying to come up with a catchy saying that used the year, and "How to win in 2010" was what it was. Well, it didn't click in my mind until after the service that the words don't really rhyme... win - ten? Not rhyming. I didn't notice this until after I said the phrase out loud, because when the Pastor said it his American accent makes the word "ten" sound like "tin". Hence, the title did rhyme everytime he said it while he was preaching :).
Despite the fact that my Canadian accent ruins his catchy phrase, it was an amazing sermon. He preached from Philippinas 3:7-8... "but what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ." These verses have always spoken to me, but hearing a sermon on them made them seem so fresh again. Truly, anything that makes me successful in the eyes of the world means nothing in comparison to what I have in Jesus! You can't understand that until you actually accept Christ into your life and become a Christian. When the Lord Jesus is part of your life, nothing else is important and nothing else matters. He takes precedence over everything! And yet so many people continue to reject Him and His forgiveness. They would rather live in their sins. I find this heartbreaking.
I am so thankful for my church and pastor. Sunday is definitely my favourite day of the week :). So, how do you "Win in 2010?" Learn and love! Learn more about God. Read His Word, pray, grow, seek Him first. And then love. Love God, desire Him, communicate with Him. And after we love God we need to love our neighbour.

I don't usually write really preachy blog posts, but that sermon just touched my heart today! However, I will end with a funny story. Last week after church my Mom left her purse in my car after we went out for coffee. It was okay, because she had her wallet. So, I brought her purse to church today to give it back to her. Well, we came to my house after church and just chatted for a while. My parents had just left, and I went to go upstairs to my room and there is my Mom's purse sitting on my stairs!!! With her wallet and cell phone in it this time, so I can't even call her to tell her it's here! Thankfully, her and my Dad had gone to get gas and realized that she left it here before they made it half way to Loring! Although, I'm pretty sure her wallet has more money in it than mine, so maybe I wouldn't have minded having it here for a week :).

No comments:

Post a Comment